While your mind has the ability to create all sorts of thoughts, it does not mean you should believe them. Our mind is rich with ideas and stories about the events and people in our life. By becoming aware of the quality of our thoughts, we can change our emotional reactions to events and people.
• Notice your thoughts
• Name all the feelings these thoughts are evoking
• Name the feelings that are under those feelings
• Experiment with telling yourself that your thoughts are just thoughts and not necessarily the truth
• What other perspective is there to this situation?
• If you were to tell the same story with compassion for the other person involved, how does that transform the story?
• Start watching your thoughts as if they were images on a TV screen. Once they have occurred, let them go