Sharing your emotions is an effective way to diffuse them. Be mindful that it is crucial you set up the scene for an optimal reception. The most effective approach is face to face (not text or email).
• Ask someone to sit with you and to listen without giving you any feedback
• Describe the situation that upset you (not you always an you never)
• Express what emotions were evoked, make sure to unbundle them
• Respectfully ask for what you need from the other person (make sure your request is realistic and specific)
• Be generous and offer what you can do for the person if they were open to meet your needs/request